Hi Family! We’re launching a new series today, “A Minute and A Nibble” which is basically an interview with some well loved celebrities, and respected foodie personalities who will share their food journeys and educate us on our passion. I hope you enjoy this,and please let us know, who else you’d like to read up on!
Today we have the great pleasure of chatting to current reigning Miss Soweto, Nthabiseng Kgasi.
Nthabiseng is a 3rd year marketing and communications student, a daughter and sister with a gorgeous smile and bubbly personality that has won over the hearts of Sowetans.
We took a minute to find out what her foodie side is about!
1. What is your relationship with food like? Do you enjoy cooking?
I live for food, because I believe food is life. If I had one wish it would be to eat anything without having to worry about my weight. I love experimental cooking, if I have to cook basic everyday food I get bored, I love experimenting in the kitchen.
2. What is your earliest memory of food?
Probably when I was still in creche, during my early childhood years. I attended my mother’s day care centre and she would prepare the best meals; “7 colours is what we called it” Sunday dish.
3. Which celebrity local or international would you like to share a meal with and why?
J something from the Mi-casa group, because his a great chef. I would actually have him prepare the meal
4. What is your favourite go to recipe? (Lookout for our version later on)
It’s not an original, but it’s my favourite: using coca cola to make sticky chicken wings.
1 Cup brown sugar
1 Can Coca-Cola®
2 medium onions, chopped
2 Cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons soy sauce (a Japanese sauce) salt and pepper to taste
2 ½ Pounds chicken wings or ribs
Mix all the ingredients together to make a marinade, and add your chicken wings. Leave for atleast three hours, but the longer it stays the more flavour.
Remove and cook in hot oven or braai, occasionally basting with the sauce so it’s sticky and yummy!
5. What scares you most in the kitchen?
When food doesn’t turn out to be like the picture I googled. “hides”
6. What is your favourite White Star product? (Look at our older posts to see what magic you can create with White Star products!)
The strawberry instant porridge. Yummy!!!!
7. Let’s play a quick game of who would you eat, eat with and throw away. (Pick from three) Akaworldwide, Cassper Nyovest, and Vuyo Dabula.
Tricky, I would eat with all three, eat Aka worldwide with the hopes of gaining his talent from that and take all three home, I am not throwing away such talent.
8. Family is obviously super important to you, what is the one meal on which holiday do you guys bond best over?
Christmas Day, 7 colours cooked by my favourite women: mother, grandmother, aunts. They are some of the greatest chefs out there but unfortunately I’m the black sheep of the family when it comes to cooking.
9. What would you make from the following ingredients? — a can of tuna, rice, cheese, spinach and eggs.
Let’s see, fried rice with eggs, prepare the tuna on the side “separately” and make a cheesy creamed spinach. That’s a great meal.
10. What is your favourite meal, your favourite restaurant?
Pata Pata in Maboneng Precinct, because they serve some of the best African cuisines.
Dumplings, beef stew, coleslaw salad with any other salads on the side
11. What special ingredient would you say was used to make you?
Sweet chilli, because I can be both sweet and spicy “bold and not accepting any mediocrity”.
Thank you so much for taking your time to answer all our questions Nthabiseng! We wish your well in your plan to conquer the world! (snacks in tow)k